“Without a wish, without a will, / I stood upon that silent hill / And stared into the sky until / My eyes were blind with stars and still / I stared into the sky.”-Ralph Hodgson

Shine a light on me









Ever since I went and saw Olafur Eliasson's take your time exhibit at the MCA a couple of months ago, I've been obsessed with light installations ever since. I believe alot of this is due to the healing benefits of light/colour, known as chromotherapy. Several ancient culture such as the Egyptians and Chinese have been documented as using this practise for centuries. For instance red can be used to stimulate the circulation of blood in the body, while blue can be used to manage pain. So next time you gotta cold, ditch the doc and chuck some fluorescent filters over your lights instead!

Sources-
image 1-Spencer Finch, In Praise of Shadows
image 2-Bernhard Gal, Solo
images 3&4-Erwin Redl, fade I & Matrix II
images 5&6-Olafur Eliasson- One way colour tunnel, 360° Room for all colours
images 7&8- Tamar Frank- Into the Light, Hooghius Eindmaifestatie


3 comments:

  1. oh this post is fabulous!!
    i'm LOVING your selection of photographs on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. woah, your blog is great.

    i love light installations, so much. i just saw some flavin pieces at the hamburger bahn here in Berlin. So rad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive seen some of Flavin's stuff online before.. I would die if he had a showing in sydney and probably go in everyday.

    ReplyDelete

Follow via bloglovin

Follow JACARANDA
Powered by Blogger.

Counter